Sunday, March 31, 2013

Tenzin Tseten Bhutia's fashionable sensibilities

Tenzin Tseten Bhutia is pleasant to talk to and the conversation flows freely. After working for Himalayan Couture for six years, he’s now ventured into his own clothing line – Tenzin Tseten Bhutia Creations. The fashion designer has been in Nepal since the early days of fashion and has seen the industry progress. He’s candid about the situation and says, “Nepal isn’t ready for creativity yet.” But Tenzin is still hopeful and a lot wiser.

It’s been around six years since you joined the fashion industry. What was it like then?
There were no particular fashion designers in the scene then. The concept was that tailors were the only people to go to if you needed something stitched. Apart from that, people would talk about the boutiques in Kupondole who were specializing in sarees. There was no media presence in the fashion scene then. I remember Nuzhat Qazi was there to compete with me. (Laughs). It’s only been a year or so that we’ve seen new designers on the rise.

How’s the industry now? Do you think it’s competitive?
No, not at all. We’re still only a handful and I think the new crop of designers is trying to discover what works for them. I thought there were a couple of very good designs during the Trendsetters Fashion Show. But we’ve also seen a few rip-offs, and that’s where the media should come in. I believe that with more young people in the media, there’s been an evolution where fashion reporting is concerned. Since they know what’s going on, they’re keen to report on it. But I think everyone should be responsible and keep an eye on the fashion scene abroad too so that there’s no rip off and no hype over it. Because what will the rest of the designers do? They might come to believe that it’s okay to take someone else’s design and flaunt it as their own.

In your opinion, what does the fashion industry really need at the moment?
There’s a very important gap that can only be filled by textile designers. There are no textile designers in Nepal and there’s no course for textile designers in the country. Every fashion house, or designer actually, needs a textile designer to work with. They’re the ones who will work on the fabric and enhance the design. They help take the design to the next level, and with a certain design on the material, it becomes exclusive and customers will like that. I hope the fashion institutes will seriously consider adding textile designing to their syllabus.

How has your creative sensibilities evolved?
In the past, I would lean towards ethnicity and have a good dose of culture in my clothes. I worked with brocade and made sure there was a distinct stamp of ethnicity. However, I came to realize that clothes with western silhouettes are more favored and that clothes need to be contemporary. So I’m curbing my tendency to work like I did before and create clothes that my customers will easily love.

Isn’t that bad for your creativity?
In some ways, yes. Nepal isn’t ready for creativity yet. This is also my advice to upcoming designers: try to understand the market and design your clothes accordingly. But I still stick to certain silhouettes that I really prefer. For instance, I prefer the mermaid shape whenever I work with gowns, and when it comes to making skirts, the A line silhouette is what I prefer.

Let’s talk about fashion weeks. How important are they for designers?

I’ve done almost five or six shows this year. Fashion weeks and shows are very important in terms of visibility. We can show our work and that way we can sustain in the market. But when it comes to buyers, I’ll be honest and say that there’s nothing for designers in that respect. In all my years here, I’m yet to meet any buyer, and those designers who say differently aren’t being honest. So doing shows is just a way of remaining in people’s memories.

Also, these days I don’t agree to participate in every show I’m offered. I research the company and their record before I agree to participate. I’ve had some experiences in the past and I’ve learnt it’s wiser to know who you’re working with.

Has it become easier for a freelance designer to sustain himself?
It’s been almost a year. Well, people here mostly order clothes only when they have a special place to go to. So the majority of my clients comprise people residing abroad. They send orders through email and social networking sites. It’s much more affordable for them than for the people here.

As soon as the political situation gets better and the cost of living is stable, then I’m sure the industry will get better.

source: republica,29 march 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts